Citywide Fall Cleanup is Saturday, December 6
Petersburg’s Department of Public Works annual Fall Leaf Pick-up program has been extended through January 2015 to allow for more leaves to fall this season. The City will provide one round of leaf vacuuming in each ward. Vacuum of leaves dates are as follows:
• Ward 5: December 8-10
• Wards 1 & 4: December 11-12
• Ward 6: December 15-17
• Ward 3: December 18-January 2
• Ward 7: January 5-12
• Ward 2: January 13-16
During vacuum dates, residents are reminded to rake leaves into a pile between the sidewalk and the curb or shoulder of the road, and not into streets or ditches. Bulky materials such as brush and tree limbs should not be mixed with leaves.
The drop-off site will be located in the parking lot at the corner of Mount Vernon and South Sycamore Streets (across I-85 from Cameron Field) with hours of operation from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Vacuum leaf collection services will be offered to residents who miss the first round collection, or choose not to bag or drop-off their leaves for $75 per load.
Residents should bag their leaves should they miss the vacuum leaf collection. Up to 60 bags of leaves may be placed at the curb on the regular trash collection day.
The City will also host a City-Wide Fall Clean-up on Saturday, December 6 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Residents can drop-off household trash, leaves, and tree limbs for free at the following locations:
• Ward 1: Lee Elementary (51 Gibbons Avenue)
• Ward 2: School Board Administration Office lot on East South Boulevard
• Ward 3: Petersburg High (3101 Johnson Road, parking lot off Homestead Drive)
• Ward 4: Old hospital site (South Sycamore Street, parking lot off Apollo Street)
• Ward 5: Peabody Middle (725 Wesley Street, parking lot off Lee Avenue)
• Ward 6: A.P. Hill Elementary (1450 Talley Avenue)
• Ward 7: Stuart Elementary (100 Pleasants Lane)
Items not accepted at the drop-off sites include: motor oil, antifreeze, hazardous waste, and any liquids.
The City is encouraging neighborhoods to coordinate a “neighborhood leaf clean-up day”, in which the City will provide trash bags. For information regarding fall leaf pick-up, City-wide Fall Clean Up, or to schedule a neighborhood leaf clean-up day, please call Street Operations at (804) 733-2415.
For additional information about bagged leaf collection, please call the Central Virginia Waste Management Authority at (804) 425-0500.