Blandford Church was built in 1735 as the seat of worship for members of Bristol Parish. The church building was abandoned in 1806 when membership in its congregation dwindled as a result of the consecration of a new church building in downtown Petersburg. In 1901, work began to restore the building for use as a Confederate Memorial chapel. The Ladies Memorial Association of Petersburg organized the restoration campaign. As part of the restoration project, the Ladies Memorial Association solicited funds from each former Confederate state for the creation and installation of a stained glass window in memory of the Confederate soldiers from that state. Louis Comfort Tiffany's studio was commissioned to design the fifteen memorial compass windows. The Virginia, Missouri, and Louisiana windows were the first to be unveiled in 1904. The subject and theme of each window was left entirely up to the Tiffany studios. Each of the large windows contains the image of a Saint and symbols associated with the Saint. The four smaller windows were designed to complement the larger ones.
A booklet on the Tiffany Compass Windows of Old Blandford Church is available through the Petersburg Museums gift shop. The cost $10.40 plus shipping. To order call (804) 733-2396 or email email@example.com.